On Sep 4, 2013, MotorAge magazine hosted a panel to discuss the “shortage” of automotive repair professionals and how education plays a key role in developing of the next generation of techs. The panel was made up of the following automotive industry leaders:
- Pete Meier – MotorAge Magazine
- Donny Seyfer – Shop Owner seyferauto.com
- Scott Brown – iATN
- Sonny Reeves – Retired High School Instructor
- Tim Dwyer – Instructor – Oklahoma State
- Chuck Roberts – V.P. NATEF
I think this is an honest and needed conversation and I show this video to every Intro to Automotive Tech class I teach. Some of the topics included are:
- Is there really a technician shortage or just a shortage of highly skilled technicians?
- What role do AYES, NATEF, and industry support play into automotive training programs?
- Who should be encouraged to enter the automotive field and what are some of the potential career paths
- What are some of the myths of the automotive service industry?
- How has the automotive industry handled race and gender diversity?